Ocracoke Island, NC Circa 1823
Ocracoke Island Light
In 1823 the Ocracoke Light was relocated to Ocracoke Island following the loss by fire of the previous light built on nearby Shell Island. The new light was fitted with a fourth order lens that was damaged during the Civil War and replaced in 1864. The 75 foot tall conical tower has been in continuous use since it was first lighted, making it one of the oldest active lights of the Southeast Coast. It is the shortest lighthouse on the North Carolina Coast and can only be seen for fourteen miles.
Now restored and automated, the property includes an historic keeper’s house, presently used as a residence for Park Service personnel. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Pewter; Brushed Finish. Includes ribbon as shown.
Dimensions: 2 ˝” height x 1 ˝” width