The Governor’s Palace in the capitol of the largest American colony was built as the residence of the British Royal Governor. The Georgian home, completed in 1722, was the forerunner of the great Virginia houses of the 18th Century and the focus of Colonial Williamsburg’s fashionable society and finest entertainments. The elegance of the Palace and its formal garden were the product of hard work by many servants.
After the Revolution, Patrick Henry then Thomas Jefferson served as governors in Williamsburg until the Capitol was moved to Richmond in 1780. While being used as a hospital for American soldiers, the main house was destroyed by fire in 1781. The property was purchased by Colonial Williamsburg in 1928, and, subsequently, the buildings were faithfully reconstructed from artifacts, Jefferson’s drawings and General Assembly records.
Solid Brass; Brushed Finish. Includes ribbon as shown. First produced in 1997.
Dimensions: 2” height x 1 3/8 ” width