Cape Henry, VA Circa 1881
Cape Henry Lighthouses
Old Cape Henry, retired, was erected at the southern entrance to the Chesapeake Bay in 1791 at a cost of $15,200. This was the first lighthouse authorized by the new U.S. government. After almost a century of service, the old tower at Fort Story was replaced in 1881 by a new 157 foot structure fitted with a huge first order Fresnel lens. The New Cape Henry light performs as an offshore sentinel for shipping entering the Chesapeake Bay.
In 1929 it was the first beacon to become a radio distance finding station. Both lights can be viewed in the Seashore State Park, Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Pewter; Brushed Finish. Includes ribbon as shown.
Dimensions: 2 ¾” height x 1 ½” width