Cape Hatteras, NC Circa 1870
Cape Hatteras Light
The Hatteras Light built in 1803 was underpowered and considered the “worst light in the world.” Its 200 foot replacement, erected in 1870, is the ultimate symbol of lighthouses, guarding the shipwreck laden waters off Cape Hatteras, NC. The current black and white striped structure was initially fitted with a revolving first order Fresnel lens.
Today, an airport style beacon in the lantern can be seen 20 miles out to sea. One of the original framed keepers’ quarters serves as a visitor center and museum, and, is open to the public daily. The ever encroaching waters of the Atlantic Ocean continue to threaten this magnificent example of maritime history. In June, 1999, the light was moved inland about ˝ mile to prevent disaster from beach erosion.
Pewter; Brushed Finish. Includes ribbon as shown.
Dimensions: 2 5/8” height x 1 ˝” width