Assateague Island, VA Circa 1833
Assateague Island Light
Funds for a lighthouse off the Maryland / Virginia coast were appropriated in 1831; however, when completed, the original light never served satisfactorily as a coastal beacon. During the 1850’s the Lighthouse Board concentrated on upgrading the southern coastal lighthouses. It was painted in alternating bands of red and white. Major improvements were made at Assateague in 1867 that included a first order Fresnel lens, making the light visible for 14 miles.
Today the Assateague Island lighthouse’s two electronically powered beacons, containing 1,000 watt bulbs, can be seen at the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. It is still in active use as an aid to navigation.
Pewter; Brushed Finish. Includes ribbon as shown.
Dimensions: 2 5/8” height x 1 ¾” width